Don't Touch the Edges and Artist's Statement


In this piece, I tried to separate colors into shapes and refrain from touching different colors. To make this possible, I first made sketches to know where I was not to put paint on.

My piece had reflected the papers onto the ball, along with some light which I believe came from a set of windows. It also had a dramatic change of light between the ball’s shadow and the paper itself, which was painted with a thick layer of paint. The most challenging part was, not shockingly, the part in which I couldn’t touch the edges, especially since my brush is not one like the ones I used to paint with. Normally I changed brushes depending on what part of the painting I was working on, using a smaller brush in a place with a lot of detail, for example. At first, I worked on the shadow, which trained me for my work on the ball (supposedly the focus of the painting). By the time I got to paint the ball, I had already gotten better at “not touching the edges”, so that worked out pretty well.
I have to speed up my pace. Everyone around me seemed to have finished before I did, or at least seemed to work more efficiently. When I saw people walking around with their paintings, they all had one thing in common: a ball that had many different color shapes on it, so I looked for as many shapes of color as I could find and put them in my ball. If could have had a do-over, I probably would have chosen a setting that was easy to set up and destroy. So, that I could have wrapped up everything and gotten to math class before the bell and easy to make so that I could have worked on the piece more than I worked on the set up. I feel that one of the best parts of my piece is the ball itself, even though I draw a lot of attention toward the blue piece of paper, especially the shadow and color gradation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peggi Kroll and Artist's Statement

Artist Menu Artist Statement