Peggi Kroll and Artist's Statement

1.       






  1. When examining other people's art, one can pick what to blend in with one's way of art, to modify it into something more desirable for the artist him/herself
  2. What did I learn from Kroll's work?
    1. Don't focus on the details.
    2. Try to work fast so that you won't focus on details and end up repainting--wasting paint and time--and loosing previous flow.
    3. When following the steps, one can achieve the alla prima look. 
    4. (Not really in Peggi Kroll's work, but as we go further into studio 2, it will help) After one gets to the point where his/her painting looks like a Peggi Kroll painting, one can go back to add as much or as little detail as one wants.
  3. What is meant by "Mapping"? After extensive research, I found out mapping is incorporating maps, or something of the likes, into art. Such as making art out of what was a map, making a once bland map into unique art.
  4. Before this lesson, I didn't know how important it is to finish work quickly in order to not second-thought oneself. And, I learned that one does not really need to add any detail in order to make a painting look like an actual thing. 
  5. I guess Mr. Gaudreau was trying to get me to understand that a painting or drawing with more detail does not win over one with less or minimal strokes, if both are understood to represent the same object.
  6. Mr. Gaudreau is really the one person I was paying attention to as far as any artistic ideas go. He told us all to work fast, and stressed that over and over on every day class met. I also remember Jillian telling me that, apparently, working with watercolor is way faster, and that is why she was done with her painting way before me.
  7. I remember that in the last class I was present in, we watched a video of a guy who was holding his paintbrush in a really unusual way. I mean, I had never seen anything of the likes. The same man who held his paintbrush with two fingers on one side of the brush and the remainder on the other was the same one who advised for painters to mix colors beforehand so that one wouldn't struggle second guessing oneself. That's what I got out of the Alla Prima video, which is basically everything Mr. Gaudreau had previously mentioned.
  8. In the piece of the painting I copied, color, shape, and texture played a crucial role. Where every color was treated as a shape that used a generous amount of paint in order to achieve the texture of an alla prima painting.
  9. I really am not good with terms in art, so I had to look up what painterly was. Apparently it is a style of art which characterizes an artist. Just how Peggi Kroll's works have minimal details while still being able to recognize the initial object (or objects) in the painting.
  10. In my next painting I will totally try to work faster, and use less materials, trying to figure out a certain color when I could just use one that is close enough. So, try to be less of a perfectionist, which I believe was where I failed.

Comments

  1. mapping in painting is looking at an object and dividing it up into areas if color and shadow like a coloring book. each color is like a separate shape. Nice art statement. you did great

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Menu Artist Statement